Friday, April 27, 2007

Where Have I Been? Partying for Social Justice that's where....


This week has been a whirlwind with lots of commitments in girl-world, (grant deadlines, End Sexual Exploitation Day, and of course partying for Social Justice, like the good feminist and pro-girls woman you know me to be. So blogging has taken a back seat, although I have a back log of things to say....
But back to the partying for social change, Rachel Lloyd and GEMS received the Frederick Douglass Award from the North Star Fund on Tuesday night and I was there to celebrate. I'm always thrilled when girls organizations receive awards and public recognition as I think we are bypassed too quickly (with the excuse that girls are not really in need anymore) and funding for girls only programming is hard to come by (only 6% of foundation funding is specifically earmarked for girls and women). But I am especially thrilled to see GEMS receive this award (not just because I work there, although that does not hurt) but because this award does recognize the sexual exploitation of US youth as slavery and validates our work.
So..major props to the North Star Fund for their forward thinking on gender issues, and bringing together a large range of grantees under the heading of social change. And thanks for the great party!

No comments: